CCM is actively trying to engage Connecticut's youth. CCM is the state’s largest, nonpartisan organization of municipal leaders, representing all of CT’s 169 town and cities, including yours! We work together with your town/city to improve your life and the lives of your friends, family, and neighbors. CCM wants to hear your voice! As we work to make your life better, we want to ask you about your local town/city.
Think about the question what is cool about local government?
Create an entry using this as the central question and general theme. Have fun, and be creative with this project! You may choose to submit an essay, poem, photo, video, painting, multimedia project, or any other medium you find appropriate. Images of 3 dimensional art will be accepted.
Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Do you know anyone that works in local government that you could speak to on the topic?
- What excites you about your town?
- What services do you like that your local government provides? (Club sports, theater, parks, fairs and festivals, parades, etc.)
- What is your favorite place in your town?
- What suggestions do you have to make your government cooler?
- What services do you wish your town provided?
Who Can Enter:
The contest is open to all Connecticut public middle (grades 6-8) or high (grades 9-12) school students. They may collaborate with peers and submit group projects of no more than 3 people.
- All work must be original.
- One submission per person/group.
- Essays/poems must be limited to 500 words.
- Photos must meet the following resolution requirements: JPEG or JPG format and at least 1600 pixels wide (if horizontal) or 1600 pixels tall (if vertical) or be a quality 8x10 print.
- Videos must be limited to 2 minutes.
- If submitting an original three-dimensional work of art, you may opt to submit images of the art for consideration. However, the original piece must be available upon request.
- Winning entries must be able to be transported to Post University at a date to be determined.
- Entry should have the full name of participating students attached to submission for identification purposes.
- Any submission received by mail/in person will not be returned.
- Entrants must complete the Official Contest Entry Form in its entirety.
All entries are due by Friday, October 15, 2021.
The CCM awards committee will choose the winners based on the following:
- Closeness to the theme
The winning submissions* will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship presented during CCM’s Convention on November 30, 2021.
*Prize will be split equally among each group member should a group entry win. One high school and one middle school submission will be selected.
How to Enter
Complete the official entry form and send it along with your entry.
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to use #LoCoolGov in your subject line.
Attn. Beth Scanlon
545 Long Wharf Drive, 8th Floor
New Haven, CT 06511
If you have any questions, email email@example.com or call 203-946-3782.