2018 Municipal Budgets
Municipal Training Southington Police Department
2018 Municipal Budgets
Southington Police Department
69 Lazy Ln.
Southington, CT 06489
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.
We have reached the maximum seating capacity for this session. If you register, you will be added to the waiting list. Click here to access our second available workshop for 2018 Municipal Budgets.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW back to top
Local governments continue to face unprecedented budget challenges.
This vital workshop will prepare you for your upcoming budgeting season. It will provide in-depth information on what you need to know from the basics of budgeting and how to read financial statements to more advanced concepts of applying financial statement and economic data to your budget preparation. Whether you're new at budget preparation or a pro, this session will provide the latest most up-to-date financial concepts to prepare a user-friendly and defendable budget for FY2017.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES back to top
- Prepare budgets, monitor budgets, and evaluate budgetary results;
- Understand and use your own financial statements to assist you in budgetary decisions;
- Use trend and economic data to assist you in estimating revenues and expenditures;
- Nationally recommended governmental budgetary practices;
- Tips and tricks-of-the-trade used in local budget preparation;
- Recognizing structural vs cyclical financial deficits before they happen;
- Forecasting fund balance levels, grand lists, and future mill rates;
- Understanding your CAFR, GASB Statements, OPEB, Revaluations, and applying GAAP.
After covering the basics, you will learn more advanced techniques and practices such as:
- Controlling debt service levels: 5-10 year Capital Improvement Programs;
- Methods of health care cost containment;
- Outside influences to your finances: rating agencies, the open market, etc.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND back to top
- First Selectmen, Mayors, Town/City Managers
- Council Members and Selectmen
- Finance Directors
- Boards of Finance
- Boards of Education
- Department Heads
- School Business Managers
- Risk Managers
- Any municipal personnel involved in the budgetary process
CCM PRESENTERS back to top
Town Manager, Town of Avon
Finance Director, Town of Farmington
COST back to top
- Non-Members - $120 per attendee, (see registration info below)
- FREE to CCM-Members, (see registration info below)
Not sure if you're a CCM Member? Click here to find out!
We have reached the maximum seating capacity for this session. If you register, you will be added to the waiting list. We are working on adding a second session.