CCM is actively trying to engage Connecticut's youth. CCM (Connecticut Conference of Municipalities) is the state’s largest, nonpartisan organization of municipal leaders, representing 168 of CT’s 169 town and cities, including yours! We work together with your town/city to improve your life and the lives of your friends, family, and neighbors. CCM wants to hear your voice! As we work to make your life better, we want to ask you about your local town/city.
We are thrilled to have received over 100 submissions from around the state for our first ever scholarship presented in 2017!
Contest Overview back to top
Think about the question what is cool about local government?
Create an entry using this as the central question and general theme. Have fun, and be creative with this project! You may choose to submit an essay, poem, photo, video, painting, multimedia project, or any other medium you find appropriate. Images of 3 dimensional art will be accepted.
2017 Middle School Winner back to top
Jeremy Queinoz, Grade 8, East Shore Middle School in Milford, won for his submission: a painting titled, “Local Governments Help.”
2017 High School Winner(s) back to top
Jackson Reed, Owen Pelletier, and Ali Martin, Grade 12, South Windsor High School, won for their submission: a video titled, “Why South Windsor is the most invested in its youth.”
Helpful Tips back to top
Here are some questions to ask yourself that may help you get you started:
- Do you know anyone that works in local government that you could speak to on the topic?
- What excites you about your town?
- What services do you like that your local government provides? (Club sports, theater, parks, fairs and festivals, parades, etc.)
- What is your favorite place in your town?
- What suggestions do you have to make your government cooler?
- What services do you wish your town provided?
Contest Information back to top
Who Can Enter:
The contest is open to all students attending a Connecticut public middle (grades 6-8) or high (grades 9-12) school. Participants must create their own original work themselves, but may get help from teachers, parents, or friends in the form of ideas. They may collaborate with peers and submit group projects of no more than 3 people.
- One submission per person/group.
- Essays must be limited to 500 words.
- Poems must be limited to 250 words.
- Photos must meet the following resolution requirements: JPEG or JPG format and at least 1600 pixels wide (if horizontal) or 1600 pixels tall (if vertical) or be a professional quality 8x10 print.
- Videos must be limited to 2 minutes.
- If submitting an original 3-dimensional work of art, you may opt to submit images of the art for consideration, however the original piece must be able to be provided upon request.
- All work must be original.
- All projects must be able to be transported to Foxwoods Resort, if a winning entry.
- Entry should have student's full name attached to item/piece/submission for identification purposes.
- Entry should have school, location, and grade of student(s) attached to item/piece/submission for identification purposes.
- Any submission received by mail/in person will not be returned.
- Entrants must complete the Official Contest Entry Form in its entirety.
All entries are due by Saturday, June 30, 2018.
Judging: The CCM awards committee will choose the winners based on the following:
- Closeness to the theme
CCM will select two winning entries, one each from a middle school and high school, using the criteria listed above. Each winner will be awarded a $500 scholarship* to be presented at CCM's Annual Meeting & Dinner during our fall convention on Tuesday, October 30, 2018, along with an overnight stay at Foxwoods Resort for the winner(s) and their parents that evening.
All submissions will be featured on CCM's website.
Winners will be notified by October 1, 2018.
*prize will be split equally among each group member should a group entry win
How to Enter back to top
We will begin accepting submissions for the 2018 scholarship on March 1, 2018.
Complete the official entry form and send it along with your entry.
By Email: email@example.com
Be sure to use #LoCoolGov in your subject line.
By Mail: CCM
Attn. Bru Hickey
900 Chapel Street, 9th Floor
New Haven, CT 06510
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 203-498-3037.