Vermont League of Cities and Towns
Position Overview back to top
The Vermont League of Cities and Towns (VLCT) seeks a Staff Attorney for its Municipal Assistance Center. Celebrating our 51st year, VLCT is a statewide association dedicated to serving and strengthening Vermont local government. This is a professional position that provides legal assistance and training to local governments through the VLCT Municipal Assistance Center, the training, education, and professional assistance division of the League.
Primary responsibilities include responding to member inquiries, delivering educational workshops, developing model ordinances and documents, and writing newsletter articles and handbooks. On a daily basis, the staff attorney assists member officials with a broad range of legal and topical questions.
Qualifications back to top
- Broad experience in the laws, regulations, principles, and practices of local government as well as employment law, planning and zoning and public finance.
- Excellent communication, presentation, research, writing, and teaching skills;
- The ability to work in a dynamic team environment;
- Outstanding customer service;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline such as public administration, political science, or a government-related field;
- Law degree and admission to the Vermont Bar;
- Up to three years of professional experience with a Vermont municipality or state agency in areas of municipal administration and responsibilities is preferred.
Position/Salary/Benefits back to top
The successful candidate will be offered either the Staff Attorney I or Staff Attorney II position. Position and salary commensurate with experience.
VLCT offers excellent benefits and a wonderful downtown Montpelier location.
How to Apply back to top
Detailed job descriptions are available at https://www.vlct.org/classifieds.
To apply, please send a confidential cover letter, resume, and the names and phone numbers of three professional references to: email@example.com with “Staff Attorney” as subject.
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. Position open until filled. EOE.