Assistant Vice President of Underwriting
Assistant Vice President of Underwriting
CIRMA, New Haven, CT
Position Overview back to top
CIRMA, the Connecticut Interlocal Risk Management Agency, is the leading municipal insurer in Connecticut. CIRMA has grown in financial strength and membership over the past several years. Due to this growth, we have an exciting opportunity in our Underwriting Department.
What do you want for your career?
- An organization where integrity and excellence are valued?
- A place where you can contribute to Connecticut's communities?
- A place of open communication, diversity, and teamwork?
- An organization that is financially strong and committed to the future?
- An organization that recognizes and rewards your contributions?
Our employees' commitment to excellence drives CIRMA's success. We, in turn, are committed to theirs.
As a member of CIRMA’s Underwriting Team your primary responsibilities include:
The direction and management of CIRMA’s Underwriting Staff assigned. Provides consultation and support in management activities, which develop and focus CIRMA’s strategic planning, operational goals and objectives and a new product/service development relating to Underwriting.
Essential Responsibilities back to top
- Underwrites using both established guidelines and experienced judgment to evaluate and price accounts.
- Manages staff, establishes performance, workload and staffing standards consistent with CIRMA objectives. Provides for the design, development and implementation of policies and procedures for the Underwriting department.
- Works the Vice President of Underwriting to prepare rating and pricing plans for all new and renewal business. Makes recommendations on pricing strategies taking into consideration actuarial indications, market conditions, reserve adequacy and surplus position.
- Advises the Vice President of Underwriting on matters relating to reinsurance underwriting. Reviews proposals, and makes recommendations for retention levels, structure and coverage.
- Ensures compliance with the requirements of the Connecticut Department of Insurance with regard to underwriting, rating and pricing.
- Ensure appropriate execution of quality assurance processes, inclusive of identification of strengths, deficiencies and implementation of action plans focused on improved results.
- Conducts on-site visits with member and non-members, and independent contractors/agents to promote CIRMA’s programs.
- Attends and participates in municipal and local agency meetings as well as professional association meetings to promote CIRMA’s programs.
- Serves has a liaison between Underwriting and other CIRMA functions to develop and strengthen interdepartmental communications and collaborations.
- Performs additional responsibilities as required.
Experience and Training back to top
The skills and knowledge required would be acquired through a bachelor degree and a minimum of 7 years experience of hands-on management and supervisory experience in underwriting. Working knowledge of commercial P&C insurance underwriting principles highly desirable. Knowledge of risk control principles and operations required. Knowledge of municipal pool exposures as well as alternative market financing programs desirable.
Essential Job-Related Qualifications back to top
- Thorough knowledge of underwriting operations, practices, procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of management information systems, and quality assurance programs.
- Ability to plan, schedule, direct, motivate and evaluate staff.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret insurance laws and contracts.
- Ability to deal effectively with staff, service providers, state and local government officials the press and other insurance contracts.
- Ability to identify and determine priorities among competing demands and pressures.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, negotiation skills and business planning skills.
- Ability to analyze data from multiple sources and use to monitor performance of pool members, staff and service providers.
Salary/Benefits back to top
We recognize that talented people are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay and comprehensive benefits packages. For this reason we offer a comprehensive benefits plan that includes the following:
- 401A without employee contributions or matching
- Medical coverage (free options available)
- Dental coverage • Paid time-off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care coverage
- Work/Life resources
- Credit Union membership
- Employee and Dependent life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
How to Apply back to top
Please send your resume and cover letter to HR@ccm-ct.org.
Please tell us how you heard of this position on your cover letter:
CIRMA website – specify code CIRMA-web
CCM Job bank – specify code CCM-Job bank
Job search website – Web
Employee referral – Referral
Job Type: Full-time