Human Resource Generalist
Human Resource Generalist
Position Overview back to top
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position administers the human resource functions for the Town of Southington, government division. The Human Resource Generalist will develop partnerships with Town administration to develop and enhance its workforce to serve the residents of Southington. This position oversees employee benefits, labor relations, training, and safety of the employees during the course of their duties.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES (illustrative only):
- Perform recruiting services for all divisions, developing job descriptions and postings.
- Schedule and participate in interviews and guide department leaders to comprehensive interview format
- Conduct employee onboarding to assure all new hires meet town, state and federal employment requirements.
- Assist employees with retirement, resignation and post-employment process and benefits
- Ensure all employees are enrolled in applicable medical, dental and retirement benefits
- Maintain personnel records
- Assist department leaders in the guidance and coordinator of employee relations
- Participate in union contract negotiations and administration.
- Coordinate discipline and grievance hearings
- Coordinate training and maintain records
- Liaison with benefits advisor on medical insurance/life insurance/retirement/ worker injury
- Coordinate and respond to all unemployment benefits claims and hearings.
- Work to ensure safe standards and OSHA compliance
- Other duties as required
Qualifications back to top
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, ABILITY AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Knowledge: Working knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal human resources and recruiting methods. General knowledge of state and federal statues related to personnel administration, union contracts, workers compensation, unemployment, etc.
Ability: Ability deal effectively and maintain working relationships with applicants, town employees, and state/regional agencies. Ability to understand policies and procedures and to be able to explain them. Able to work independently, maintain confidential records, prepare reports in both oral and written form. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
Skill: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, aptitude for working and explaining policies and procedures to people. Able to work with people, maintain and develop effective working relationships, problem solve, process documentation.
Applicants need to have a bachelor’s degree in human resource management or related degree from an accredited college or program. Seeking over 3 years of experience in human resource management, preferably in a union / municipal environment. Human resource certification from HR Certification Institute or SHRM a plus.
Other Information back to top
HOURLY RATE: $40.50 UNION: n/a
HOURS: 35 hours, Monday - Friday
FLSA: Non- Exempt
REPORTS TO: Town Manager
How to Apply back to top
Individuals interested in applying for this position, should complete their application on line referencing: https://www.applitrack.com/southingtonschools/OnlineApp/JobPostings/View.asp?AppliTrackJobId=1413