Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
CIRMA, New Haven, CT
Position Overview back to top
The Connecticut Interlocal Risk Management Agency (CIRMA), located on Long Wharf Drive in New Haven, CT, overlooking scenic Long Island Sound, is a premier Public Entity Risk Pool with expertise in the complex world of municipal risk management. Over the past 39 years, CIRMA has been the market leader in providing Workers’ Compensation and Liability-Auto-Property insurance, and outstanding Risk Management Services, to Connecticut’s towns, schools, and local public agencies. Unlike most commercial insurers, CIRMA’s mission is focused on providing high quality tailored services, pricing stability and empowering members to manage risk. CIRMA works closely with our members and business partners helping to build better and safer communities where you live, work, learn and play.
CIRMA’s model of Vision, Mission and Values contributes to our continued success and financial strength:
- Insuring over 85% of Connecticut’s Cities, Towns, Schools and Local Public Agencies
- 99% Member Retention
- Over $97m Earned Premium
- Over $389m Assets
- Nearly $25m Members’ Equity Distribution over the past 7 years
As Chief Financial Officer of CIRMA you will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and President. Your responsibilities include budget preparation and administration, financial and strategic planning, financial analysis and reporting, investment management, administering internal controls, directing the daily financial operations and insurance accounting (GAAP & STAT) principles and reporting.
Essential Responsibilities back to top
- Oversees the preparation of CIRMA’s annual budget and the statutory accounting function.
- Directs the CIRMA finance staff, administers all financial functions, and directs daily financial operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and fixed assets.
- Oversees the investments of CIRMA’s assets and the activities of the Investment Committee. Directs cash investment and portfolio investments to maximize returns. Administers cash management controls and ensures that systems of internal controls are in place to safeguard assets and to provide for accurate and complete accounting records and reports.
- Analyzes financial conditions, trends, and business processes, prepares forecasts, and directs financial planning and management. Advises management on CIRMA’s financial matters. Recommends changes in financial strategies and systems as needed.
- Supervises the completion and timely submission of CIRMA’s annual and quarterly filings to the Connecticut Insurance Department. Coordinates the periodic financial examination conducted by Connecticut State Insurance Department.
- Coordinates the audit of CIRMA’s financial statements, and is responsible for fee negotiation, financial statement presentation, and resolution of management-letter comments.
- Supervises the preparation of periodic financial reports for CIRMA. Implements policies and procedures for financial administration.
- Prepares and conducts presentations of financial information to the CIRMA Boards of Directors, as well as the financial committee of CIRMA.
- Maintains primary relationship with CIRMA’s financial vendors including but not limited to auditors, bankers, and investment managers.
- Negotiates, secures, and administers insurance coverage for CIRMA.
Job Requirements back to top
Education: A master’s degree in Finance or Business Administration is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in all areas of financial/investment management.
Knowledge: Strong knowledge of GAAP and STAT Accounting principles, as well as group self-insurance programs and their financial and regulatory requirements. Knowledge of the principles and practice of financial management, including budget preparation and administration, investments and reporting.
Skills/Competencies: Requires excellent communications and team building skills, ability to plan and manage complex projects, proven supervisory skills, and ability to handle multiple priorities and competing demands.
Salary and Benefits back to top
We offer a competitive salary, flex-time, and exceptional benefits.